Unwritten Memoir

"He has told you, O man, what is good: what does the Lord require of you? To do justice, to love mercy and to walk humbly before your God." - Micah 6:8

Name:
Location: Portland, OR

Thursday, May 04, 2006

A Rough Map of Our Trip

The Background: our story
Brandi - Missions has been on my heart for many years, especially Africa. There is really no logical reason, except for my heart breaks for the continent. It has been forgotten, and I just feel God's heart beating for it.

Becca - So, to be completely honest, I have never wanted to go to Africa. Or at least not the interior. Maybe Morrocco or Egypt, but nothing too intense. The thing is I've wanted to go pretty much everywhere else. I love traveling and learning about other cultures. When I moved in with Brandi, we started tossing around ideas of where we could go. And she got me thinking about Africa.

Brandi - Becca started writing articles on a nonprofit called Invisible Children, which is an aid organization whose purpose is to bring light to injustices to children in northern Uganda. Inevitably this led to us becoming more interested in researching the situation. The idea of Uganda grew on both of our hearts and one day we looked at each other and said, "Uh, so what do you think about going?"

Becca - We prayed about it seriously for about a month. I was so hesitant to go at first. But my friends had faith for me and were telling me they had no doubt I would end up there. I already had a few connections in Uganda and more and more kept crossing my path. Brandi and I decided to just do it about a week ago.

The Journey: (Tentative - very)
End of June - Leave home.
July 1-3 - Orientation to Uganda. Staying in Kampala.
July 4-14 - Ministry in Kampala with contacts from Africa Inland Mission
July 15-July 22 - Either traveling outside Kampala to small villages or going to western Uganda to help a missionary couple.
July 23-August 18 - Ministry in Gulu at Favor of God Orphanage and in the IDP camps.
August 19-August 26 - ________________ ???
End of August - Come home.

The Landscape: things to pray for
  • Unity - that we don't drive each other crazy
  • Love - that God will give us his passion for his people
  • Glory - "not to us but to your name"
  • Health - queasy tummies...
  • Provision - financially, emotionally, spiritually
  • Wisdom - what the heck are we going to do next?
  • Faith - see that blank above... yeah...
  • Safety - inner peace for our safety
  • Plans - that we can solidify our "tentatives"
  • Focus - that our vision is Christ and nothing else

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home